Tuesday 26 March 2013

Sunday roast leftovers - the ultimate sandwich

When I worked in London, one of the greatest lunchtime treats was a trip to Fuzzy's Grub. What Fuzzy's offered was what I consider to be the ultimate sandwich. Picture this:
  • your choice of roast meat (beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey)
  • + all of your usual Sunday roast accompaniments (roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, stuffing, carrots, peas etc.)
  • + gravy
  • in a sandwich!
Mouthwatering...
I'll be the first to admit that before my first visit, I was a skeptic. Gravy in a sandwich, you're kidding right? But I was persuaded to give it a try, as I can't resist a Yorkshire pudding! It was, in one word, DIVINE.

Times change. Our local Fuzzy's closed down. I left London. But I wasn't prepared to leave those good memories behind. So we started creating the ultimate roast dinner sandwich at home. It's so simple, just throw in a few extra veg when you're preparing your roast dinner, buy a joint big enough for leftovers, make sure you have plenty of gravy and you can create the magic at home on a Monday night!

How to create the ultimate roast dinner sandwich
  • Fill a pan with your leftover gravy and add your leftover meat, warm gently until the meat is heated throughly.
  • Reheat your veg, stuffing and Yorkshire puddings in the microwave or the oven, ensuring that everything is warmed through thoroughly. If you want to include peas, it's best to cook these from fresh, as they will probably shrivel up and dry out if you leave them as leftovers.
  • Build your sandwich, adding as much gravy as you like, or dare!


No comments:

Post a Comment