Friday 31 May 2013

Being British - I don't always mean what I say

This really made me smile, it's just so true! We British, with our stiff upper lips and love of queueing, like to think of ourselves as being tactful and diplomatic. Yet, in our quest to avoid offence, it seems that we've developed a whole dictionary of phrases that really shouldn't be taken at face value.

I don't know about you, but I've used each and every one of these phrases. More than likely in a work situation where for some reason (probably to avoid being presented with a P45) we feel the need to be overly polite... through gritted teeth and after complaining privately to your most trusted colleagues!

So should we just say what we think, or are there some situations where we need to dance this merry dance? What do you think?

Thanks should be given to Funky Giraffe for posting this on their facebook feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment